GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) third annual Power Talk 21 takes place on Sunday April 21st and discusses new research with surprising results.
MADD Minnesota has found that 68 percent of the 4,700 alcohol related deaths of those between the ages of 15 to 20 are not traffic related. This new analysis further enforces the importance of parents to talk to their teens about refraining from underage drinking, even if there's no driving involved.
2010 data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it's estimated that 32 percent of all deaths related to underage drinking were traffic fatalities while the remaining 68 percent were other fatal incidents including homicides (30 percent), suicides (14 percent), alcohol poisonings (9 percent), and other causes (15 percent).
Now more than ever MADD, along with sponsor Nationwide Insurance, is encouraging families to connect and talk with their kids about alcohol on Power Talk 21 day this Sunday. MADD offers a Power of Parents handbook as a guide to provide parents with the tool and resources they need to talk to their kids about the dangers of underage drinking. The handbook can be found online at the MADD website.
Prom and graduation are right around the corner and along with them comes the peer pressure to drink, so be sure you have the conversation with your kids as soon as possible, join in on the talk on Sunday.
For more information on Power Talk 21, more information on MADD, and to download a pledge for youth and parents to sign promising to not drink underage, visit the MADD website.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )