GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn--Twin Cities Consumers’ Checkbook is releasing new ratings and advice to help you save time and money. Executive Editor Kevin Brasler joined us to discuss advice and tips for hiring a house cleaner, buying tires, and sharing a brand-new study about whether personal organizers live up to the hype.
For the next two weeks, KARE 11 viewers have free access. Click here for the link.
• Plumbers -- Ratings for quality and price, plus do's and don'ts, which is a good topic for Thanksgiving/the holidays (guests, vegetable peels, bones, all bad for the plumbing)
• Professional organizers -- This is brand new. We had five Checkbook staffers each hire an organizer for a project and report what happened. All started the process pretty skeptical. When done, reactions ranged from "Hiring an organizer is a waste of money!" to "Changed my life."
• Hiring a house cleaner -- Ratings and pros/cons of hiring a service vs. an individual; mistakes customers make, also good holiday hook, get ready for guests
• Tire prices -- We shopped Costco, big-box discounters, tire chains, independents, and online sellers and found you can save a ton of money by buying smart; also advice on maintaining your tires, why you shouldn't pay for tire rotations, and more
• Diaper prices -- We report who offers the best deals – how to better your “bottom” line
• Exterminators -- How you can solve most pest problems on your own; what to do if you need to hire help
• Window treatment prices -- We found big store-to-store price differences; advantages of buying at a local store vs. online