Patio dining season is just about here, and before you head to your favorite bar or restaurant, call ahead to see if your favorite four-legged pal welcome too.
“One of the many things that makes the Twin Cities so great is that there are so many dog friendly stores, restaurants and breweries," opines Bubbly Paws owner Keith Miller.
Truth be told, not all dogs enjoy patios and being in noisy settings. When trying to decide which place to visit, or whether to visit at all, Miller says it's important to know your dog and how he or she will react in a very social setting. He says sidewalkdog.com is an excellent resource for animal lovers.
Top 5 Dining Out Tips For Your Pooch
- Feed them first.
- A tired dog is a good patio dog. Bring them to the dog park or take them on a long walk before hitting up the patio.
- Forget the Flexi. When you are in public, it is best not to use the retractable leashes.
- Bring water. Not all restaurants and breweries will provide water bowls for the dogs.
- Bring distractions. If you have a smaller dog, not all of them enjoy laying on concrete, so bring a small bed for them. Also, toys and snacks help keep them distracted.
Top 3 Favorite Dog Friendly Patios
- Pizzeria Lola in Southwest Minneapolis.
- 3 Squares in Maple Grove
- Sisyphus Brewing (by Loring Park) in Minneapolis .
Miller appeared on KARE 11 News at 11 Monday with a special friend, Ivan from the Heart of Border Collie Rescue. The lovable pooch first entered the rescue with some chemical burns on his back, head and legs. Ivan’s foster family helped him heal and he’s now ready for a forever home. They say Ivan loves giving kisses and playing fetch. In fact, Frisbee is his new passion.
To adopt Ivan, contact the Heart of Border Collie Rescues website for details.