GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.,- On this weeks episode of KARE in the Kitchen, France 44 chef Peter Cusic shows Alicia Lewis and Sven Sundgaard how to make a tasty homemade cheese fondue.
- 1 halved clove of garlic
- 1/2 pound Gruyère, grated
- 1/3 pound Appenzeller, grated
- 1/3 pound Comté Fleur, grated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup Felines Jourdan (or other dry white wine)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- A splash or two of Kammer Black Forest Kirschwasser
Turn on fondue pot or heat small saucepan over low heat. Toss the cheese with the flour. Once fondue pot is hot, rub the interior of a medium saucepan with the peeled garlic. Remove garlic and add wine. Bring to a simmer and add the cheese mixture, one handful at a time.
Stir over low heat until smooth and cheese is melted and bubbling. Stir in the nutmeg. Add a splash or two of kirsh and continue stirring until it starts to bubble just a bit. Don't forget to stir frequently.
Suggestions for dipping:
- Torn baguette
- Roasted vegetables
- Cubed salami
- Cooked ravioli
- Steamed potatoes
- Sliced apple or pear