GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. – Any good parent knows that a winter coat, gloves and a hat are a must during a Minnesota winter, but when temperatures reach extreme conditions good advice is even more important.
The Mayo Clinic offers these tips to avoid frostbite.
- Limit time you're outdoors.
- Dress in several layers of loose, warm clothing rather than a single layer.
- Wear a hat that fully covers your ears-- and mittens rather than gloves.
- Avoid alcohol.
A Twin Cities nurse also says to watch for signs of frostbite.
"One of the things that people will see first will be intense redness and pain and that's going to be followed by numbness," said Mary Liz Bilodeau.
If you see those signs, Bilodeau says to get inside immediately. Aloe Vera can help a mild frostbite and avoid direct heat. You should seek medical attention if white or pale skin is visible, if there is a loss of sensation, blisters, a fever or dizziness.
It's best for people to stay inside, but cars actually need a little attention in the bitter cold.
"Take quick trip around the block just to get the blood flowing in the vehicle … So that Monday morning when you head out that you turn that key and it turns on," advised Pat Moody of Triple-A.
Triple-A also recommends checking your car battery to avoid getting stranded and to keep an emergency safety kit in your car in case you do.
Below is some information for those who might be in need during the cold snap.
All Hennepin County Libraries will be open regular hours including:
- Franklin Library 1314 E. Franklin Ave. Minneapolis 55404 (Sunday:12 p.m.-5 p.m., Monday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.,Tuesday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.)
- Hosmer Library 347 E. 36th St. Minneapolis 55408 (Sunday 12 p.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Tuesday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.)
- East Lake Library 2727 E. Lake St. Minneapolis 55406 (Sunday 12 p.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Tuesday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.)
The Salvation Army Harbor Light Center, located Downtown at 1010 Currie Avenue, is open 24 Hours Sunday and Monday for anyone who needs a warm space.
Other Salvation Army warming centers will be open Monday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, including in the Ninth Ward at 1604 East Lake Street and elsewhere at:
- 2024 Lyndale Avenue N, Minneapolis
- 2727 Central Avenue NE, Minneapolis
- 1019 Payne Avenue, St. Paul
- 401 W. 7th Street, St. Paul
- 10011 Noble Parkway, Brooklyn Park
- 10347 Ibis Street NW, Coon Rapids
- 2080 Woodlyn Avenue, Maplewood
The Opportunity Center at 740 East 17th Street (near Chicago Avenue and 17th Street) will be open Monday 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.