GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Repurpose your Thanksgiving leftovers with a healthful twist!
Hy-Vee Savage Registered Dietitian Melissa Bradley will show you how to utilize your Thanksgiving leftovers in a Holiday Harvest Salad.
This recipe is packed with protein and fiber as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy during this holiday season. For more recipe ideas visit www.hy-vee.com or contact your local Hy-Vee dietitian.
Holiday Harvest Salad
Serves 4 – 6
All you need:
1 cup farro, cooked, cooled
1, 16 oz. package butternut squash, peeled and chopped (approx. 3 cups butternut squash, cubed)
3 cups cooked turkey, shredded or cubed, cooled to room temperature
½ cup dried cranberries
1 small shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup pistachios, shelled
¾ cup olive oil, divided
1 tsp black pepper, divided
¼ tsp salt
¼ bunch fresh curly parsley, minced
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a mixing bowl combine salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ cup olive oil and butternut squash. Toss to combine. Spread squash on parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until edges are darkened and can pierce with a fork (approximately 20 – 25 minutes). Allow to cool to room temperature. Note: If you have leftover Thanksgiving sweet potatoes or yams you could use these in place of roasting additional squash.
2. Bring 1 cup of farro and 3 cups of water to a boil. Reduce to simmer and let cook until all water is absorbed (approximately 25 minutes). Let cool to room temperature.
3. Mince shallot, garlic cloves and parsley. In a small bowl combine remaining black pepper, olive oil, shallots and garlic. Whisk to combine. Reserve parsley for step 4.
4. In a large bowl combine turkey, farro, cranberries, butternut squash, parsley and dressing. Toss all ingredients to combine. Note: If not using leftover Thanksgiving turkey you can cook up fresh turkey cutlets and season with salt, pepper, rosemary and sage to recreate Thanksgiving flavors.
5. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes and top with pistachios prior to serving. Season with any additional salt and pepper to taste.