GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. – It’s hard to resist the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
Chef Terry John Zila shares a recipe you can make right at home.
Classic Cinnamon Rolls
Makes one 9 x 13-inch pan
1 recipe Brioche dough
Filling: Cinnamon butter
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (to grease baking pan)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Prepare Brioche dough from recipe through step #5
2. To prepare the filling, place the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until creamy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Butter the baking pan with unsalted butter and set aside.
To assemble the rolls:
1. On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough into an 18 x 11 inch rectangle.
2. Spread the cinnamon butter evenly over the rolled dough and sprinkle the chopped pecans (if using) evenly over the butter.
3. Starting with the long end of the dough, roll up the dough into a log and pinch the ends to seal.
4. Lightly score the log into 12 sections to ensure the rolls will be of even size, then cut the dough log into 12 even pieces
5. Place the rolls, cut side up, into the buttered pan and cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow them to rise for several hours until doubled. At this point, the rolls can rise in the refrigerator overnight.
To Bake the rolls:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for about 35 minutes or until they are golden. Immediately invert the rolls onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Do not allow then to cool in the pan. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Ice with cream cheese frosting or royal icing if desired
© 2017 KARE-TV