GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Author Tricia Cornell joined KARE Saturday in the kitchen to share recipes and advice on getting the best produce at the farmers market.
The Minnesota Farmers Market Cookbook is a guide to selecting, using, and preserving the food found at farmers markets, plus 80 recipes for using seasonal produce supplied by local chefs and farmers.
The local author and food writer offers kitchen shortcuts, tips on choosing each food in season, and advice on how to turn the fresh bounty of the farmers market into easy, delicious meals.
The Minnesota Farmers Market Cookbook is available at all area bookstores and online.
Maple Caramel Sauce recipe:
· 1 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 2 cups heavy cream
· Pinch of salt
1. Stir ingredients gently over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook without stirring for 15 minutes, until thickened.
3. To test the consistency, scoop out a small spoonful and let it cool slightly in a bowl. Keeps one to two weeks in the fridge.
Variation: Maple Caramel Candies
1. Follow recipe above, but continue cooking until mixture reaches 255˚F.
2. Line an 8x8" baking pan with parchment paper and pour mixture into pan.
3. Allow to cool in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Slice into 2"-long thick candies and wrap individually in parchment paper.