GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Flavor, A Celebration of Our Restaurants, is presented by the Minnesota Restaurant Association and will take place Thursday, May 29 from 6-9 p.m. at Muse Event Center, 107 3rd Ave. N.
Keven Kvalsten, chef at Republic, and Grace Hertel of the Minnesota Restaurant Association joined KARE 11 News @4 to give a preview of the event.
According to Hertel there will be menu tastings from some of Minnesota's most exciting restaurants, as well as beer, wine and liquor.
There will also be an Iron Bartender competition welcoming bartenders from local restaurants to compete to create the best, most innovative drink using fresh ingredients and a special secret ingredient.
General Admission is $90.
VIP Admission is $200.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign which connects kids in need to effective nutrition programs like school breakfast and summer meals and teaches low-income families.
Here's Keven's Duck Meatball and Pickled Carrots-
Duck Meatballs and pickled carrots
Ground Duck (your butcher can grind this) 1Lbs
Braised Pork Shoulder 4 oz
Shallot (minced) 1 T
Garlic (minced) 1 T
5 spice powder 1/2 t
Ground Ginger 2 t
Hoisin 1 T
Soy Sauce 1 T
Panko bread crumbs 2 T
Carrots, thinly sliced into coins 1 cup
Rice wine vinegar ½ Cup
Chili flake 1 T
Brown sugar 3 T
1. First make the pickled carrots by bringing the rice wine vinegar to a boil with the sugar and chili flake.
2. Add the sliced carrots and simmer in vinegar until just soft. Leave uncovered and chill in cooler.
3. When they are cool, they're ready to use. Will keep in fridge for up to a month. Keep the carrots in the vinegar brine.
1. For the meat balls, you'll need braised pork shoulder. We braise pork in our restaurant so this is always plentiful but it can be a huge process for just a small batch of meatballs. You can buy it precooked or use your own recipe for shredded pork.
2. Mince or use a food processor to break up the braised pork into small pieces. It should look almost shredded.
3. Mix the remainder of ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
4. Portion into 2oz balls and roast in a preheated 375F oven until a thermometer reads 150F in center of meatballs.
To plate these up, use a wooden skewer and put a few slices of the pickled carrots running through the skewer on top. Serve hot or warm.