GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Our sun-drenched summer days, with low humidity and comfortable temperatures are perfect for outdoor entertaining.
Chef Kirsten Renee has a great suggestion if you're hosting a deck or patio party. One of the easiest themes is a "South of the Border" self-serve Burrito and Tostada Bar. You provide the restaurant style shredded beef & a few favorite sides and have everyone bring a few items to build the offerings!
Using less than 10 ingredients to make the flavorful spicy shredded beef in the oven or crock pot. One shredded beef burrito at the local take out Mexican fast food restaurant costs about $7.50. Making your own restaurant style burrito and tostada at home gives everyone the chance customize what they want for toppings and makes for an interactive dinner
SPICY SHREDDED BEEF
Note: This can also be made in the crock pot by following steps 1 through 4. Place the browned beef, vegetables, seasonings, salsa and water into the crock pot stoneware and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-6.
3 lb. tender chuck beef roast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, chopped *seeds optional
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. cumin
15 oz. can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
16 oz. jar salsa verde ( tomatillo salsa)
16 oz. water
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Season roast on all sides with salt and pepper, set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large oven safe pot over medium high heat, add onion, garlic and jalapeno then saute for 5 minutes.
4. Push vegetables aside, place the seasoned roast in the center and cook about 6 minutes per side to brown the meat.
5. Add the oregano, cumin, beans and salsa verde then fill up the salsa jar with the water and add it to the pot.
6. Cover pot with a lid or heavy duty tin foil and roast for 3 1/2 hours or until the meat shreds easily using a fork.
7. Remove pot from oven, let rest for 30 minutes then use 2 forks and shred the meat into the sauce then serve with burritos, tostadas and enchiladas.
EASY CILANTRO LIME RICE
3 C. cooked white or brown rice
1-2 limes, cut in half
1/4 C. minced cilantro
1. Mix the cooked rice, desired amount of lime juice, cilantro and salt, toss to coat and taste adding extra of any ingredient you desire.
CREAMY CILANTRO LIME SAUCE
1 C. sour cream
1 ripe avocado
1/2 C. cilantro
2 cloves garlic, quartered
2-3 Tbsp. lime juice
Salt to taste
1. Place the sour cream, avocado, cilantro, garlic and lime juice into a blender, puree until smooth.
2. Pour sauce into a small bowl, season with salt to taste and refrigerate until use.
© 2017 KARE-TV