GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Join Twin Cities' top chefs as they prepare delicious and sustainable gourmet ocean and freshwater dishes paired with a variety of new sustainable wines at the Minnesota Zoo's Fish Bites on Thursday, May 8.
Keane Amdahl, sustainable seafood coordinator for Minnesota Zoo, and Chef Adam Beal from Smack Shack joined KARE 11 News @ 4 in the kitchen.
According to Amdahl, proceeds from the event benefit the conservation and education programs of the Minnesota Zoo.
The following will be sampled:
- Butcher & the Boar – Trout Pate
- Lancer Catering - Herb Crusted Sword Fish Atop Shaved Asparagus and Leek Sauté
- Seared Scallop accompanied with Potato Latke Finished with Hollandaise Sauce
- Luci Ancora – Harissa Poached Prawns/Saffron Potato/Asparagus Puree
- Lucia's Restaurant & Wine Bar - smoked whitefish croquette with watercress tartar sauce
- Masu Sushi & Robata – Tuna Tataki/Soba Noodle Salad
- Saffron – Cured Arctic Char/Chickpea Blini
- Sea Change – Florida Trident Speared Frogs Legs/Fried Chili/Coconut/Cashew/Lemongrass
- Smack Shack – Dredged fried Lake Superior Smelt/Baby artichoke tapenade/Black pepper flatbread cracker
- Oceanaire Seafood Room – Baked Cisco /Stone Fruit
There will be live music with Café Melange, shark and stingray feeding. The event is hosted by 96.3 K-TWIN's midday personality, Brian "BT" Turner.
Note: This is a 21+ event.
Chef Adam Beal from Smack Shack fixed the following on KARE 11 @4-
Cornmeal Fried Smelt, Tapenade Aioli, Housemade Cracker
Cornmeal Fried Smelt:
- 8oz fresh dressed smelt
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- 1 C. AP flour
- 1 C. Dried Tempura Mix
- 1½ C. Cormeal
- Oil for frying
Mix tempura and cornmeal together. Dredge fish in flour/buttermilk/seasoned cornmeal. Deep fry for 3 minutes at 350 degrees.
- ¼ C. capers
- ¼ C. Picholine Olives
- ¼ C. Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 C. Aioli (4 egg yolks+1 C. canola oil)
- 3 ea Pickled Smelt fillets
- 1 T Fresh lemon juice
- 1 t kosher salt
Prep: Finely chop capers, olives, and peppers. Mix into food processer with Aioli (separate recipe) and smelt. Puree until smooth. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- ¼ C. wheat flour
- ¾ C. All Purpose Flour
- ½ t sugar
- 1T cold butter
- ¼ C. Whole milk
- 1 T minced onion
- ½ t mined garlic
Pinch of Salt
In a mixer, combine all dry ingredients. Add butter, then add garlic and onion. Slowly add milk until dough forms. Let dough rest for one hour. Roll out on floured surface, as thin as possible. Bake in oven for three minutes @ 350 degrees, or until golden brown and crispy.