FALCON HEIGHTS, Minn. - Chef Terry John Zila joined us at the KARE Barn with his own food on a stick recipe.
Puft Daddy on a Stick
This is my homage to my very favorite Minnesota State Fair food. You can use the peanut sauce recipe I have listed here, or the originators of this recipe, The Sausages Sisters, told me the 'House of Tsang' brand it fantastic and readily available. These girls rock!
6 mild sausages, such Polish sausage or sweet Italian
3 cups white wine such as Gewurztraminer or other wine with a nice residual sugar
1 cup water
1 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
3 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Chinese 5-Spice
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and divided into 6 squares (The sheets are perforated into 6 sections)
Flour for dusting
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg white
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the wine, water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, black pepper and Chinese 5-spice to a boil.
3. Add the sausages and poach for 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the liquid and allow to cool completely.
4. Dust a cutting board with flour. Roll out a section of the puff pastry into an 8 x 8 square. Place a cooled sausage on one end of the puff pastry square and roll the sausage up on the puff pastry. Brush the last inch of the puff pastry square with egg white and pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining sausages and puff pastry squares. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Brush each puff pastry wrapped sausage with melted butter, then with some of the egg white.
6. Slice each sausage into 6 slices and lay the slices on the parchment-lined sheet.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, or until browned and puffed. Serve with peanut sauce.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
2 shallots, peeled and minced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 stalk fresh lemon grass, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red curry paste
¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- In a sauce pan, sauté shallots, garlic and lemon grass until soft. Add red curry paste and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add peanut butter, palm sugar, fish sauce and coconut milk. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 15 minutes). Add water if the sauce is too thick. Pour into a shallow bowl.