MINNEAPOLIS - Oceanaire Executive Sous Chef Drew Wilson offered up this delicious recipe for fresh tuna salad.
SPICED PAN-SEARED TUNA SALAD
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
FOR THE SALAD—
1⁄3 Cup - fresh lemon juice
1⁄3 Cup - fresh orange juice
1⁄4 Cup - extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. - mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. - honey
1 Tbsp. - minced fresh tarragon leaves
1⁄2 tsp. - kosher salt
8 Cups - torn romaine lettuce
1⁄2 Cup - thinly sliced red onion
1 Can - Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
Kosher salt to taste
FOR THE TUNA—
3 Tbsp. - fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. - sweet orange marmalade
2 tsp. - kosher salt
1 lb. - fresh tuna, cut into 2-inch pieces
Cajun seasoning to taste
2 Tbsp. - vegetable oil
1 Cup - grape tomatoes
- Whisk together lemon juice, 1⁄3 cup orange juice, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, tarragon, and salt for the salad dressing.
- Combine romaine, onion, and beans in a large bowl. Set dressing and salad aside until ready to serve.
- Stir together 3 Tbsp. orange juice, marmalade, and salt for the tuna.
- Marinate tuna pieces in the marmalade mixture for 10 minutes. Drain marinade, then place tuna on a plate and season with Cajun spices.
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then quickly sear tuna until nicely browned on just two sides, being careful not to over cook
- Add tomatoes and sauté, stirring occasionally, until their skins blister, 1–2 minutes.
- Add dressing to salad to taste, toss to coat, and season with salt. Divide the salad evenly among 4 dinner plates.
- Top each with some of the tuna and tomatoes. Serve salads while tuna is warm.
The Oceanaire Seafood Room
50 S 6th St, Minneapolis, MN 55402