GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - It's the perfect time of year for picnics. The sun is out and the bugs aren't too bad yet.
Beth Dooley with Wilderness Inquiry shared some tips for the perfect picnic.
- Keep it light and tangy. Avoid salads and sandwiches with mayonnaise. The condiment goes bad in heat quickly. Instead, dress salads and sandwiches with olive oil and vinegar.
- Use fresh hard rolls for sandwiches. The bread is less likely to get soggy or smashed.
- Keep it easy. Focus on finger foods. Stuff salads into pita bread or serve with big chips.
- Keep it simple. Don't pack too much, but make it super good. Use quality cheeses, especially hard cheeses that don't melt. Use hard cured meats that travel well and don't dry out.
- Don't forget: hand sanitizer, salt and pepper, small trash bags, water and napkins.
- Pack up some fun! Bubbles, balls, Frisbees and kites.
Sugar Snap Pea and Radish Salad
Here's a light fresh salad. This is delicious piled into a hard roll with mild cheese or served with chips or pita bread for scoops.
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, ends trimmed and sliced into 1/8" strips
- 12 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of ground coriander, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the sugar snap peas and radishes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, mustard, coriander and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the vegetables and allow to marinate at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
4 Simple Sandwich Ideas
1) Roast Beef and Blue on Whole Grain Rolls
- Whole wheat hard rolls
- Spread with blue cheese on one side and a little horseradish on the other
- Drizzle both sides with extra virgin olive oil
- Add roast beef
- Layer in lettuce
2) Pesto Chicken
- Ciabatta rolls
- Spread with pesto
- Layer with grilled or roast chicken
- Layer in thinly sliced onions
3) Italian Veggie
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Black olives thinly sliced
- Roasted Tomatoes in olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
4) Freshie Frenchie
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle Champagne vinegar