A history of the downtown Macy's

The history of the Macy's building

Dayton's. Marshall Field's. Macy's. The signs outside the historic building on Nicollet Mall have changed over the years but the history of the building has made it a true icon of the Twin Cities. 

Here's a quick timeline:

1895: A fire destroyed the Westminster Presbyterian Church at 7th and Nicollet. The property was purchased for $165,000 by George Draper Dayton (the great-grandfather of Gov. Mark Dayton). 

1902: Dayton builds a six-story building at 7th and Nicollet, opening Goodfellow's on June 24. 

1903: Goodfellow's is renamed Dayton's Dry Goods Company.

1911: The name is changed again, this time to The Dayton Company, which is run by Dayton and his sons, Draper and Nelson. 

2001: The Dayton's store is rebranded to Marshall Field's -- a controversial move for many Dayton loyalists.

2006: Marshall Field's becomes Macy's. 


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment