MINNEAPOLIS -- Executive chef Mark Crane from Colette Bar & Bistro at Sofitel Minneapolis stopped by KARE Saturday morning to share his filet mignon recipe and talk about the restaurant.
For dining information on Sofitel Minneapolis click here and for hotel information click here.
Filet Mignon and peppercorn sauce recipe can be found below.
- Serves 4 people
- 4 x 6-8oz each depending on appetite
- Good quality sea salt (handful)
- Little oil
- Knob of butter
- Whole mixed peppercorns to crush (handful)
- 1 generous glass of the finest Brandy
- 2 cups veal/beef stock
- 1 cup Cream
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Take out the filets and let sit until room temperature
- Heat the pan on a high heat until very hot.
- Crush the peppercorns and season the steaks with the sea salt and freshly crushed peppercorns
- Drizzle a little oil in the pan and carefully place the steaks making sure that all of the surface is in contact with the pan. Do not move until fully browned. When nicely coloured turn the steaks and continue browning the second side. When close to being browned add the thyme and butter and baste the steaks until desired cooking temperature is reached, then rest the meat.
- Next discard the butter and add the shallots and garlic to the pan. Add a little seasoning at the same time.
- Add the brandy and flambee. When the alcohol has burned off add the veal/beef stock and reduce down by half. When reduced add the cream and peppercorns and cook down for around 5 minutes until sauce consistency is reached.
- Reheat steaks and smother with sauce and serve immediately
Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed