ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. - Investigators hope a $500 reward will generate leads to help locate the person or persons responsible for a pair of armed robberies at Metro Transit bus stops in St. Louis Park.
Police say the robberies, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday, took place between 6 and 7 a.m. at bus stops along Minnetonka Boulevard. The February 20 robbery occurred near Minnetonka Boulevard and Colorado Avenue, while the February 21 incident happened near Minnetonka Boulevard and Hampshire Avenue.
In both cases the suspect approached victims who were alone, brandished a handgun and demanded money, cell phones and other personal items.
Witnesses describe the gunman as an African American male, approximately 5 feeet 5 inches tall, with a medium build. They say he was wearing a mask, a dark hoody sweatshirt or a puffy style jacket.
While they search for the suspect St. Louis Park Police are reminding people of ways to reduce the chances of being the target of a robbery:
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially if you are alone.
- Have your cell phone readily accessible and report any suspicious persons and/or activity immediately to the Police. Call 911!
- Do not carry large sums of cash or unnecessary credit cards, and keep your purse zipped.
If a robbery is committed:
- Fully cooperate with any orders these suspects give.
- Call 911 immediately or as soon as the suspects leave. Even seconds can make a difference in catching a suspect.
- Do not touch or disturb anything that a suspect may have touched or that has been part of the crime scene.
- If possible, try to determine which direction the suspects fled and give this information to the 911 Dispatcher.
If you have information about the person or persons responsible for the bus stop robberies call 9-1-1, or the St. Louis Park Crime Tip Line at 952-924-2165.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )