Man killed in St. Paul kitchen fire

3:51 PM, Mar 24, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A St. Paul man is dead after his kitchen caught on fire early Sunday morning.

According to authorities, the 31-year-old man was cooking when his food caught on fire.  Fire officials say the fire spread to the kitchen cabinets, producing a lot of smoke and gutting the kitchen.

St. Paul Firefighters were called to the duplex on the 1900 block of Upper Afton Rd. after neighbors reported seeing smoke.

Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire.  They then found an unresponsive man in a rear bedroom.  He was taken to Regions Hospital where he died from his injuries.

Officials say the status of the single smoke detector is being investigated.  There were no fire sprinklers.

According to authorities, the cause of the fire is unattended cooking.  They say this is the leading cause of building fires in Minnesota.  This is the first fire death in St. Paul this year.

(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )

Most Watched Videos