Teen, girlfriend charged in fatal brawl near Bemidji

1:19 PM, Mar 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BEMIDJI, Minn. - A teenager has been charged with manslaughter in a fatal drunken brawl in Beltrami County.

Eighteen-year-old Damion Gullickson Jr. is charged with killing 44-year-old Leslie Headbird at his rural Cass Lake home last week. Gullickson's girlfriend, 29-year-old Dora Keezer, is charged with third-degree assault for an attack on a woman during the same brawl March 21.

The Bemidji Pioneer says Gullickson is also accused of attacking another man at the home, as well as Headbird's mother.

Authorities visited the house in Ten Lakes Township twice on Thursday. The first time, officers said they found about 15 people who were highly intoxicated and made two arrests. Several hours later deputies returned to the home because of a fight and found a number of people "who were bleeding and in various states of distress.

The attack on Headbird and others in the home appears to have been unprovoked, according to the complaint.

Headbird's mother, Gloria Wind-Headbird, told Leech Lake Tribal Police hours before the death of her son that Gullickson and Keezer were welcome to remain in the home, according to the complaint.

She made that decision about 2:30 p.m. Thursday, when police responded to her complaint that two other people refused to leave the home. That pair, Leonard Headbird and Tressa Bisonette, were arrested. Bisonette's 3-year-old son was taken into protective custody, and a breathalyzer showed she had a blood-alcohol concentration of .459.

Gullickson and Keezer told police they would soon be leaving the home, according to the complaint.

Instead, they stayed, and at some point prior to the discovery of Headbird's body at 6:30 p.m., Gullickson and Keezer allegedly attacked. The woman who suffered a skull fracture and broken eye socket, allegedly at Keezer's hands, was able to flee to a neighboring home, from where she called police.

By the time officers arrived, Gullickson and Keezer had left. The woman who picked them up told investigators the pair had blood on their hands, and was told they'd been in a fight and "hadn't left anyone standing," according to the complaint.

The Pioneer reports that Tribal police later responded to complaints of a fight at a home in the 100 block of First Street Northwest in Cass Lake. There, Gullickson fought two men after refusing to leave the home, the complaint states.

He later jumped on a moving vehicle in an attempt to stop and steal it. Shortly after this incident, Gullickson and Keezer were taken into custody.

If convicted, Gullickson faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail and a $20,000 fine. Keezer faces five years in jail and a $5,000 fine.


(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos