ST. PAUL, Minn. - The State Patrol is urging greater awareness and caution after what officials are calling the deadliest weekend of 2013.
Eight people lost their lives on Minnesota roads between Saturday morning and the early hours of Monday.
Among those eight fatalities are three members of a family killed when their van rolled on I-94 Sunday afternoon. They were identified Monday as an 80-year-old female, a 44-year-old female and a 16-year-old male. Five others were injured in the crash, which occured Sunday just after 1 p.m. on westbound I-94 near the 49th street exit.
Troopers say a Jeep and a Honda minivan collided, and one of the vehicles careened back out into traffic. It struck a Toyota minivan carrying the family, causing it to roll several times. Investigators say it appears the victims were not wearing seatbelts.
While the fatalities have not been identified, the patrol has named those injured as Akinbowale Barbington (51); Oluremi Ayodele Ogundare (61); Fisayo Abigail Barbington (15); Faith Barbington (12); Tobi Barbington (5).
The other fatal incidents from the weekend include:
- 9:43 a.m., Saturday, April 6, on Hwy. 14 and Hwy. 42, east of Rochester, Olmsted County: Marvin Jech, 66, of Rochester, was killed when his vehicle collided with another vehicle.
- 12:54 p.m., Saturday, April 6, on county roads 9 and 10, east of Rochester, Olmsted County: 32-year-old male was killed in a two-vehicle crash. This crash is under investigation by the Olmsted County Sheriff's Office, and no other information is currently available.
- 3:15 p.m., Sunday, April 7, on Lexington Ave. and Victoria St. in Shoreview, Ramsey County: 55-year-old female pedestrian was hit by a vehicle. This crash is under investigation by the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office and no other information is currently available.
- 6:03 p.m., Sunday, April 7, on Brooklyn Blvd. at Welcome Ave. in Brooklyn Park, Hennepin County:Motorcyclist Tyron Somaiah, 23, of Crystal, Minn., was killed after he ran a red light and hit another vehicle that was in the intersection.
- 1 a.m., Mon. April 8, Brooklyn Center, Hennepin County: 23-year-old female killed when she ran off the road and hit a tree. This crash is under investigation by a Brooklyn Center Police Department and no other information is currently available.
"Tragic periods like this past weekend show how deadly our roads can turn," says Lt. Eric Roeske of the Minnesota State Patrol. "The people who lost their lives in these crashes are the reasons we all need to take the task of driving seriously and make safe decisions behind the wheel."
Roeske says motorists must buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and never drive impaired. He reminds motorists to drive alert and be prepared to react as more pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists return to the roads.
To-date in 2013, 71 have been killed in crashes, compared to 75 at this time in 2012.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )