FBI searches apartment in connection with Boston Marathon bombing

10:45 AM, Apr 16, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BOSTON - The FBI has served a search warrant on an apartment in suburban Boston in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing attack.

NBC's Pete Williams is reporting that the apartment is rented by a 20-year-old Saudi national who is in the U.S. on a student visa. The man is likely the person who was tackled by a crowd after accusations he was acting suspiciously in the wake of the two explosions.

Police, along with FBI and Homeland Security agents, descended on the high-rise Water's Edge apartment, removing brown papers bags, trash bags and a duffel bag among other items.

The official identified the man as a Saudi national. The man, like many at the time of the explosions, was observed running from the scene and sought medical treatment.The law enforcement official has been briefed on the matter but is not authorized to comment publicly on the case.

Massachusetts State Police confirm that a search warrant related to the investigation was served Monday night in the community of Revere, but they haven't said anything else.

Authorities say so far no suspects have been arrested and they don't have a motive. And the FBI is appealing for any video, audio or photos taken by marathon spectators.

Obtaining video and recovering pieces of the bombs will be crucial to the investigation. Experts say that remnants of the explosives could yield a "signature" of the bomb maker, or the group behind the attack.  

Two bombs went off yesterday afternoon as thousands of Boston Marathon runners had yet to cross the finish line. Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy. And more than 140 people were injured, with everything from ruptured eardrums to broken bones, to severe limbs.

President Barack Obama was careful not to use the word "terrorism" as he spoke at the White House Monday, but an administration official says the attack is being treated as an act of terrorism. The Pakistani Taliban said today that it had nothing to do with the attack.

Early Tuesday a European security official with knowledge of the investigation into twin bombings at the finish line of the Boston Marathon says initial evidence indicates they were not detonated by suicide bombers.

The official spoke from the United States on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the U.S. investigation. He says, "investigators believe it was not the work of suicide bombers" but it's still too early to know for sure.

 

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos