ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. - Workout enthusiasts and employees at Lifetime Fitness in St. Louis Park were allowed back into club by midday, hours after they were chased out into the cold Friday morning following an apparent chemical spill.
First responders were dispatched to the club around 8:30 a.m. after reports of fumes in the building. A club member tells KARE 11 that the fumes came after a chemical spill in one of the Lifetime locker rooms. He says at least one club employee was impacted.
The club was immediately evacuated. A spokesman for Hennepin County Medical Center says one person was transported to the hospital via ambulance while four more were treated on the scene.
A Metro Transit bus was also brought in to keep clubgoers and employees warm.
The Hopkins Fire Department Chemical Assessment Team was called to the scene and determined the chemical release was related to pool cleaning chemicals. A final determination of the exact chemical is underway, but chlorine was ruled out.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )