HAMEL, Minn. -- Bel's Brunch this week traveled out to beautiful Hamel, Minnesota to Peg's Countryside Café which was Randy Shaver's vote for best breakfast oh and also pie! Peg and Julie her chef shares their delicious blueberry wild rice pancake recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ½ Cup cooked wild rice (toss in 1 heaping T brown sugar)
- 1 ½ Cup fresh blueberries
Butter & Real Maple Syrup for topping.
Makes about eight 4 inch pancakes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter to blend thoroughly. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with the whisk, stopping when everything is just combined. (Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy.) The batter will bubble and become spongy almost immediately.
- Lichtly butter, oil, or spray your griddle or skillet. Preheat over medium heat or, if using an electric griddle, set to 350 degrees F. If you want to hold the pancakes until serving time, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.
- Spoon ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake, allowing space for spreading. Sprinkle wild rice and blueberries across the batter. Wait for bubbles to rise from the pancakes (they should pop and stay open) then flip the pancakes over with a wide spatula and cook until the other sides are light brown. (Touch gently to test for doneness - cakes should spring back to the touch.)
Serve immediately, or keep the finished pancakes in the preheated oven while you make the rest of the batch.
Great with Blueberry Wild Rice Sausage and fresh eggs! Yum!
Check out the Café yourself in Hamel located at 842 Hwy 55. You can also check out Peg's Countryside Café online at pegscountrysidecafe.com.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )