MINNEAPOLIS - Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has announced she will not seek re-election to another term in 2014.
Bachmann made the announcement in an 8 1/2 minute YouTube video posted to her campaign website and social media accounts early Wednesday morning.
"After a great deal of thought and deliberation, I have decided next year, I will not seek a fifth Congressional term," Bachmann said in the video.
"After serious consideration, I am confident that this is the right decision," she said.
Bachmann said she's leaving after eight years in Congress, much like the constitutional limits placed on a President to two four-year elected terms.
"Be assured, my decision was not in any way influenced by any concerns about my being re-elected to Congress," Bachmann said in her announcement.
Bachmann narrowly won re-election in 2012, defeating Democrat Jim Graves. Graves had recently announced his intention to challenge Bachmann again in 2014.
"I have every confidence that if I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year," she said.
National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Greg Walden (R-OR) released the following statement today in response to Bachmann's announcement that she will not seek re-election.
"Michele was the first Republican woman elected to represent Minnesota in the U.S. House of Representatives, and she has worked hard each day to ensure that her constituents' voices are heard in the halls of Congress," Walden said in his written statement.
"As Michele, Marcus and their children head into the next chapter of their lives, I wish them all the best and thank Michele for her service in Congress."
Minnesota DFL Chairman Ken Martin has a different take on Bachmann's service.
"Minnesota's long national embarrassment is coming to an end," Martin said in a written statement. "When you think of some of the national leaders we have sent to Washington D.C. from Minnesota - people like Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Gene McCarthy, Orville Freeman, and others - it was such a tragedy that our state was represented by someone like Michelle Bachmann who was so out of the mainstream of even her conservative-leaning district."
Bachmann has been under fire in recent months due to recent inquiries into her 2012 presidential campaign and allegations by former campaign staffers.
"This decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former Presidential campaign, or my former presidential staff," Bachmann said in the video. "It was clearly understood that compliance with all rules and regulations was an absolute necessity for my presidential campaign, and I have no reason to believe that was not the case."
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)