GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Ice-cold beverages taste good in the summer. But, add in coffee and you've got a different kind of cool mixed with flavor.
Melissa Telsrow from Dunn Bros Coffee joined KARE 11 News @ 4 to show us how to brew cold press coffee and fix a few fun coffee-flavored drinks.
Melissa says cold press is the basis of all iced coffee drinks.
You can make cold press coffee at home - but be sure to use quality beans. To save time, you can buy a growler of cold press from a coffee shop.
How To Make Cold Press Coffee At Home: What you need:
- 1lb. coffee beans, coarsely ground
- 1 gallon water
- Large carafe
- Wire mesh strainer
- Paper filter
Instructions: To make one gallon of cold press coffee:
- Pour one gallon of cold water over one pound of coarsely ground coffee in a large carafe.
- Stir slightly so all of the grounds are wet.
- Cover the carafe and place in your refrigerator for 18-24 hours.
- Place a paper filter into a wire mesh strainer. Pour the mixture through the filter and strainer. The strained portion is your cold press coffee.
Suggested use: Pour cold press coffee over a glass of ice and add cream or milk to taste.
How To Host A Cold Press Coffee Bar:
Keep the party cool this summer. At your next get-together provide a Cold Press Coffee bar. With just a few ingredients your guests can mix up a drink exactly how they like it. You can make your own cold press, or buy a growler from coffee shops like Dunn Bros.
What you'll need: Cold press coffee
- 1 - 2 quarts cream
- Your favorite flavor syrups, like Vanilla, Chocolate or Hazelnut (optional)
Throw a few jugs of cold press coffee into a bucket of ice to keep them cold. Put the cream in a container and keep it iced. Set out the other ingredients on a table. Leave a few drink recipes so your guests can build their own cold coffee creations.
Recipes: Caribbean Martini-?
A dark rum martini. Shake it up (or stir it up, if that's your pleasure)
- 4oz Infinite Black cold press coffee
- 1 1/2 oz dark rum
- 1 1/2 oz Kahlua
- Ice Cubes
SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE in your martini shaker. Pour into a martini glass rim coated with sugar. Add a splash of cream if desired.
Vegan Iced Latte?- This satisfying vegan alternative to the classic latte is chocolaty with a touch of vanilla.
- 1 1/4 cups Infinite Black cold press coffee
- 3/4 cup chocolate soy milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- dash of vanilla flavor syrup
- Pour ingredients in a glass over ice. Stir well. Enjoy.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)