GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Minnesota author Marie Porter was in studio this morning to talk about her new cookbook, "Sweet Corn Spectacular."
The book feature more than 70 recipes to make use of all your summer farmers market trips; everything from comfort food dishes to savory snacks.
Marie was kind enough to share a delicious recipe with us this morning, Sweet Corn Panna Cotta:
- 1 ½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2-3 ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- toppings: Glazed Nuts, Candied Bacon, Blueberry Sauce, or Salted Caramel Sauce (recipes for these in Sweet Corn Spectacular)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut kernels off the ears of corn. Add kernels to a food processor or blender along with the milk. Process until corn is rendered into small pieces. Pour into a saucepan along with heavy cream. Heat corn and liquid mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally; do not let it boil. Remove from heat, and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Once mixture has steeped, pour it through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean saucepan; discard kernel pulp. Add sugar, and heat mixture over medium just to a simmer once again, stirring to dissolve sugar. Meanwhile, microwave the gelatin on high for about 15 seconds or until melted.
- Once the milk mixture has come to a simmer, remove it from the heat. Whisk in the gelatin until fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add sour cream, whisking until fully incorporated and smooth. Pour into 4 greased ramekins or custard cups. Chill for at least 2 hours, until set.
- Top with Glazed Nuts, Candied Bacon, Blueberry Sauce, or Salted Caramel Sauce.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)