ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is urging an authority overseeing the new Vikings stadium to take extra precautions as it finalizes an agreement with the team's New Jersey-based owners given their legal woes back home.
In a statement Dayton's office circulated Thursday, the governor said he is "deeply concerned" by a judges' ruling against Zygi Wilf and his family in a fraud and breach of contract case. The judge's ruling found that the Wilfs violated a civil racketeering law related to an apartment development deal.
The Wilfs released a statement Thursday afternoon saying:
"The Minnesota Vikings and the Wilf family have long appreciated Governor Mark Dayton's support for a new stadium. The Vikings have spoken with Governor Dayton's representatives and the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority and have assured all parties that this civil lawsuit will have absolutely no impact on the stadium project. The team also has kept representatives from the NFL informed and has confirmed that league financing remains on track and unaffected by the ongoing legal proceedings. The Vikings' guarantee of $477 million in private financing has gone through two years of review and due diligence by our public partners. We have engaged several leading financial institutions to finance this project, and the funding is secure. We look forward to our continued work with the MSFA to build this statewide asset on time and on budget.
The Wilfs won approval last year for a new taxpayer-aided football stadium. The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority is hammering out final contract details with Vikings owners before construction starts. Dayton says the authority needs assurances that representations made by the team owners are "truthful and accurate."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)