Grilled Rum-Soaked Pineapple with Spiced Caramel Sauce
1 cup dark rum
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup brown sugar
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 16 spears
Toasted coconut to garnish
Vanilla or coconut ice cream to serve
1. Place pineapple in a single layer in a 13x9 cake pan.
2. Whisk together the rum, melted butter, sugar and spices and pour over pineapple slices.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
1. Remove pineapple from marinade and set aside.
2. Pour the marinade into a skillet, preferably non-stick. Use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the
marinade out of the pan. Over medium heat, bring the marinade mixture to a simmer until
sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
3. Light a grill or heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Lightly oil the grilling surface and grill
the pineapple on each side just until pineapple is beginning to color.
4. Remove from grill and plate pineapple spears and serve with coconut or vanilla ice cream and
drizzle with sauce and toasted coconut to garnish.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )