Child who ate laundry pod is breathing on his own

11:00 AM, Oct 4, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

FARGO, ND - A Minnesota toddler who is hospitalized after eating a laundry detergent pod has improved enough that he is breathing on his own.

The aunt of one-year-old Alex Rhode of Hitterdal, Minnesota posted on his CaringBridge site that Alex was taken off the breathing tubes on Friday morning and is "breathing on his own." She says he "is a requiring lots of oxygen and being a little feisty," but adds, "that is ok with us."

Alex has been in the hospital for about a week now after eating the detergent pod. His family says they want the company to change the look of the pods because they believe they look too much like candy.

Poison Control Centers have received more than 9,000 reports of children 5 and under coming in contact with or swallowing pods since early 2012.

 

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )

Most Watched Videos