MINNEAPOLIS - The two yearly collisions between the Vikings and Packers are the most popular and lucrative for people in the ticket resale biz.
They are also big with counterfeiters, for obvious reasons.
That's why the Vikings are warning fans and would-be buyers to be careful when purchasing tickets for Sunday night's game at the Metrodome.
- Team officials warn that because of the Vikings ticket-scanning process, if a fan purchases a counterfeit ticket, he/she may not be able to access the stadium and could be subject to an investigation. If a person is already in the stadium and is caught in possession of a fraudulent ticket, he/she will be ejected and could be subject to arrest.
- The Vikings remind fans that the only authorized outlets for Vikings football tickets are the Vikings Ticket Office, Ticketmaster and the NFL TicketExchange. Purchasing tickets from any other sources are done at the buyer's own risk and ticket selling on Mall of America Field property is illegal.
- The Vikings and the Better Business Bureau offer these game day tips:
- Always check with the Mall of America Field Vikings Ticket Office or the ticket booths to see if tickets are available. Often times the visiting team may return tickets on the day of the game.
- Never buy an Eticket (printed on 8" x 11½" paper) from anyone on the street. If you buy an Eticket outside the stadium you run the risk that it is fake.
- The Vikings have three types of authorized ticket stock: Vikings season and single game ticket stock and Ticketmaster ticket stock. The counterfeiters have tried to copy all three types of ticket stock. If you are buying tickets on the street:
- Take your time. Scrutinize the tickets closely for any inaccuracies or alterations, and cross-check the seat assignment and prices with a stadium map printed from www.vikings.com before you buy.
- Check the back of the ticket to see if it appears to have been photo copied. Also, all Vikings single ticket stock is numbered in sequential order on the back of the ticket. The number is printed three times on each ticket in red ink.
- Very few Vikings tickets are sold on Ticketmaster ticket stock. If you are buying tickets on the street and they are Ticketmaster stock they are most likely counterfeit.
- Ask the person who is selling tickets on the street, if you could take a picture of him/her with their valid ID before the transaction. If they refuse, move on.
When buying tickets online:
- Only the Vikings ticket office, Ticketmaster and the NFL TicketExchange can guarantee the ticket you purchase online will be valid to attend the event.
- When buying from a merchant, always look for the BBB OnLine seal. The logo will tell you that you're dealing with a company that has a good reputation for satisfying customers and a secure web site for processing your payment.
- When buying from an individual through an online exchange don't be lured away from the web site by the seller. Even if you met the seller on the exchange web site, the company may not guarantee any lost money if a transaction occurs outside their domain.
- If you buy tickets through an online auction, choose a seller with a long, continuous history of satisfied customers. Scammers can hijack old accounts, so make sure they have recently bought or sold other items.
- Pay with a credit card or through PayPal, which offer some protection and potential reimbursement. Never pay with a cashier's check or wire money to a seller; you'll have no way to get your money back if the tickets do not arrive.
- Many sellers will include pictures of the tickets with their posts on auction sites or bulletin boards. Scalpers near the venue will have the tickets themselves. Scrutinize the tickets closely for any inaccuracies or alterations, and cross-check the seat assignment with a stadium map printed from www.vikings.com before you buy.
The Vikings and the BBB urge all fans to use common sense, understand the risks, and use these tips to minimize the potential loss if they intend to go ahead and purchase tickets from someone they do not know or an unauthorized seller.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )