GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Executive Chef Lance Kapps stopped by KARE 11 News at 4 today to demonstrate how to make apple-berry crisp, one of the dessert offerings on M. ST Café's Thanksgiving menu. The apple-bery crisp is something easy to make and a little bit of a healthier dessert option! The recipe is below.
M. ST Café, a casual classic restaurant located in the lower level of The Saint Paul Hotel, will be open for Thanksgiving with a brunch from 9 am to 2 pm. Recently named to OpenTable's Top 100 Best Brunches in the U.S., M. ST will be offering a cold and hot sideboard (or buffets) on Thanksgiving. The price is $26.95 per person and reservations can be made by calling 651.228.3855 or by visiting mstcafe.com.
Apple Berry Crisp
Makes 6 each 4 oz. ramekins
Apple Prep ingredients:
Brown Sugar ¼ cup
Granulated Sugar ¼ cup
Cornstarch 1 tbsp
Ground Cinnamon 1 tsp
Honey 1 tbsp
Local Apples 5 each
Raspberries 6 oz
Lemon Juice ½ tbsp
1. Peel, core 5 each medium to large local apples into ½' dice and toss with 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice; set aside
2. In a large stainless steel bowl combine peeled, cored and cut apples with sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, and honey. Toss to combine.
3. Set aside for assembly.
Oatmeal ½ cup
AP Flour ½ cup
Brown Sugar ½ cup
Salt Kosher ¼ tsp
Cold Unsalted Butter 4 ounces-half stick butter
1. In a 20 quart mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment: combine sugar, flour, oatmeal and salt mix to combine
2. Cut cold butter into small chunks and add to the flour/sugar mixture,
3. Mix on speed 1: watch mixture closely and turn off once the mixture starts coming together and looking crumbly
4. Store in an air tight container for use later if you want to prep ahead.
Assembly of Ramekins:
1. Spray and line oven pans with parchment; set 6 ramekins dishes on sheet pan and spray.
2. In each ramekins place about 6 to 8 washed and cleaned raspberries.
3. Evenly distribute apple mixture among the ramekin dishes leaving about 1/4" from the top of the rim for the streusel topping.
4. Top each apple crisp with streusel.
5. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes rotate and bake another 15 until a deep golden brown.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )