Rachael Perron is an award-winning chef, author, artist and the owner and founder of Details Private Chef Services, LLC, which provides in-home meal services and special event services, including in-home culinary classes. She shared some recipes for her favorite side dishes.
1 T. olive oil
4 large fennel bulbs, cleaned and sliced in ¼" pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. chicken broth
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1 orange
2 tsp. sherry vinegar
½ tsp. Kosher salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 T. roughly chopped fennel fronds
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add fennel and sugar and sauté 3 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, orange rind, orange juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper; reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
3. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds and serve immediately.
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Honey
10 oz. frozen pearl onions, thawed
5 c. trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts
3 oz. chopped pancetta
¼ c. chicken broth
½ t. coarsely ground black pepper
¼ t. Kosher salt
3 T. Minnesota honey
1. Cook onions in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute.
2. Remove onions from water with a slotted spoon, drain and rinse with cold water until cool to the touch.
3. Pinch root end of onions and remove peels by pinching from other end; discard peels.
4. Cook Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes.
5. Remove Brussels from water with a slotted spoon, drain and rinse with cold water until cool to the touch.
6. In a large sauté pan cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp and browned; remove from pan, leaving drippings.
7. Add onions and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add Brussels and water or broth; cover pan and cook 8 minutes.
9. Add pancetta back to the pan; to serve, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with honey.