GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- Celebrate the season outdoors this summer by throwing a home grown garden party. This morning, local "entertaining maven" Kari Logan shared some creative ideas and recipes for setting the perfect mood.
Here's what she highlighted today:
The General Store of Minnetonka
14401 Highway 7
•Non-breakable, melamine plates made from recycled material- Confetti design.
•Striped paper napkins to complement the melamine plates
•Elegant and shatterproof wine classes
•Giant ant salt and pepper shakers
•Lighted tree branches
•Hand-blown glass patio lights
•Firepot - oil fueled flame in decorative clay pot
•Fire wire for grilling meats and vegetables.
The Country Cake Cupboard
491 Willow Drive North
•Roasted garden vegetable salad
•Organic flourless chocolate cake
Fresh Seasons Market
14400 Excelsior Blvd.
7999 Victoria Dr.
•Bring your favorite garden party recipe to their deli and they'll make it for you! (Allow 24 hours)
•Thousand Hills beef and "Real Amish Farm Country" Gerber chicken that is antibiotic free, no animal bi products, hormones, medications or chemicals
•Organically grown vegetables
•All the fixings for tacos and vegetable pizza (see recipes for these dishes)
Otten Brothers Nursery
2350 Wayzata Boulevard
•Potted flowers, vegetables and herbs to decorate the patio and make the connection between the vine and the table.
Home Grown Garden Party Recipes:
Cold Vegetable Pizza
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon dill weed
2 1/2 cups sliced vegetables (squash, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, cucumber, chives - whatever )
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Unroll the crescent rolls and place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Flatten dough to fit the pan, sealing seams and perforations. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat the mayonnaise, cream cheese and dill until smooth; spread over crust. Top with the vegetables of your choice. Sprinkle with olives and cheeses; press lightly. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares.
Beef and Chicken Soft Shell Tacos
8 servings - two tacos each
1 lb. Thousand Hills ground beef
1 lb boneless, skinless "Real Amish Farm Country" Gerber chicken
2 packages taco seasoning
¾ cup water
2 garden tomatoes - chopped
2 onions - diced
1 red pepper - chopped
2 cups shredded lettuce
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
16 soft shell tacos
2 bottles of your favorite taco sauce
1. Crumble Thousand Hills ground beef with wooden spoon in large skillet. Brown meat and drain. Stir in 1 package taco seasoning mix and ¾ cup water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Spoon into serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
2. Slice Gerber chicken into ½-inch pieces. Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken: Cook and stir on medium heat. Stir in 1 package taco seasoning mix and ¾ cup water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Spoon into serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
3. Cut tomatoes, onions and peppers and prepare cheese, lettuce sour cream and taco sauce for serving. Warm soft shell tacos in the microwave.
4. Serve tacos buffet style and invite guests to create their own.