GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- This morning the Clever Cleaver Brothers joined us with a delicious appetizer recipe for this week's upcoming football games.
"Double Team" Dippin' Shrimp
Spicy Dipping Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3/4 to 1 cup ice water
1 cup flour
1 pound large shrimp
1 red pepper, cut into 12 strips
1 small sweet potato, peeled & thinly sliced
1 quart canola oil
1. In a bowl, combine the Spicy Dipping Sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Peel, de-vein and butterfly the shrimp. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper
towels. Refrigerate in a sealed container until it's time to cook.
3. Heat oil in a wok or deep fryer type appliance until the temperature reaches 375 degrees.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the beaten egg, soy sauce and half the ice water. Pour flour over egg mixture and blend together, Thin out the batter as needed. Batter should be the consistency of whipping cream. Do not over mix, lumps are okay. Place batter over ice. .
5. Dry the shrimp and veggies before dipping into the batter. Test the oil by dropping a little batter into the oil. It should boil and come to the surface quickly.
6. Dip veggies and shrimp into batter and carefully place into oil. Do not crowd pan. Cook until golden brown and carefully remove with a slotted spoon or tongs. Drain on paper towels. Place fried items in a pan and hold in the oven on "warm" setting for use.
7. Place the Spicy Dipping Sauce in a small bowl and place in the center of the serving platter. Surround with cooked shrimp and veggies. Makes four to six portions.
For more delicious recipes visit www.CleverCleaver.com.