Friends remember teen who died from drug overdose
BLAINE, Minn. -- By all accounts, Trevor Robinson lived his 19 years alongside a loyal group of buddies.
"Trevor was the coolest kid you will ever meet," childhood friend Andy Young said.
And just months ago, friends say Trevor became a father.
"I mean he cared for that kid as much as anything in the world," Nick Hockert said.
Sadly, those same friends say Trevor is now gone. He died early Thursday morning after an apparent overdose of the party drug 2C-E.
According to Anoka County law enforcement, Robinson and 10 other people overdosed on 2C-E late Wednesday night at a house party in Blaine.
Anoka County Commander Paul Sommer said someone at the party called 9-1-1 just before 1 a.m. Thursday, saying friends were having trouble breathing.
Sommer said when officers arrived the group of people who had taken the drug, 11 total, all had to be taken to hospitals by ambulance.
Sommer said many of them had run from the house by the time police got there, but over time, they were all found and taken care of medically.
Robinson, his friends said, died at Unity Hospital in Fridley on Thursday morning.
Two of the others who overdosed are in critical condition, according to authorities.
The victims range in age from 16 to 21 years old.
The drug 2C-E is described as a hallucinogenic. It can be purchased online thru many websites and is not considered a controlled substance in the United States.
Sommer described it as a designer drug, or party drug, in the 2C drug family of chemical compounds.
Sommer says this is not the first Anoka County has heard of the drug, but this incident is very much the first of its kind.
He asked, alongside the Blaine Police Department, for parents to have a conversation with their kids about this kind of incident because it's an example of something that could be seen by some as legal but definitely as something that is unsafe.
Carol Falkowski, a drug abuse strategy officer with the Minnesota Department of Human Services, said the drugs were more popular in the Minneapolis area about 10 years ago, when raves were more popular.
Falkowski said 2C-E is chemically similar to 2C-B, which is regulated as a controlled substance and therefore would not be legal to buy online. A federal law says "cousin drugs" similar to 2C-B can be considered illegal if they're intended for consumption, but does not specifically regulate all similar incarnations that have surfaced over the years, such as 2C-I and 2C-T-7.
"They're all just a molecule away from each other," Falkowski said.
None of the drugs are approved for human use and they have been known to produce adverse reactions, especially when combined with prescription drugs, particularly antidepressants, Falkowski said.
"It's really a sad situation where so many people are involved in using a drug that can have such harmful effects," Falkowski said.
The federal Drug Enforcement Agency has recorded at least two deaths from 2C-T-7, including one in Oklahoma in April 2000 and one in Washington in 2001 of a person who used it with Ecstasy.
Regulating designer drugs is difficult because the makers can tweak the formulas so easily.
A federal ban on the sale of five chemicals used in herbal blends to make synthetic marijuana took effect last month. Fake pot, sold in drug paraphernalia shops and on the Internet, has been marketed under various brands including Spice, K2, Blaze and Red X Dawn. Versions using slightly different chemicals remain available.
(Copyright 2011 KARE. All rights reserved)