ST. PAUL -- The Saint Paul Fire Department demonstrated a series of fire demonstrations as part of its 'Fire Safety Expo.' They held the event on the John P. Monahan Plaza at the University of Saint Thomas Tuesday.
Fire crews showed people just how quickly flames can spread. Firefighters set up a mock dorm room and showed how easily a fire could start with a curtain over a halogen lamp. Authorities say halogen lamps can reach 14-hundred degrees. That's hot enough to cook an egg.
Officials also demonstrated why you never want to pour water onto a grease fire.
Funding for this event was provided by the Michael Larson Memorial Fund, established by Larson's family to promote fire prevention and smoking cessation programs.Larson, 20, was a St. Thomas sophomore who died December 11, 2010 in an off-campus house fire caused by a cigarette.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE 11. All Rights Reserved.)