GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- The owners of Sweetland Orchard, Mike and Gretchen Perbix, join us in the kitchen today to share their Rustic Apple Tart recipe.
- one pie crust
- six Bonnie Best apples (or a combination of different types of apples)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c. sugar (white or a combination of white and brown)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- raw sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees with a rack on the lowest level.
2. Peel, slice, and chop the apples.
3. Combine apples with the cornstarch, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. Roll out your pie crust or, if using a prepackaged crust, remove it from the package.
5. Place the crust on a baking sheet.
6. Pour the apples in the middle of the crust and spread them out, leaving about an inch clear around the perimeter of the crust.
7. Fold the uncovered portion of the crust up and over the apples, leaving a sizable section of the apples uncovered.
8. Sprinkle the crust with raw sugar. If it doesn't stick, lightly wet the crust with water and then sprinkle the sugar.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Open for pick-your-own apples on Sundays in September and October from 10:00-6:00.
For directions and orchard hours, call 651-25-CIDER or visit sweetlandorchard.com.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)