GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- Minneapolis Dessert Examiner Lisa Patrin joined us today with simple ways you can dress up your holiday desserts.
For more details on Lisa, check out http://www.examiner.com/dessert-in-minneapolis/lisa-patrin.
Here are Lisa's sweet suggestions:
Lisa's Ultimate Mistletoe Treats
• 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
• 8 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/3 cup of Bailey's mint chocolate liqueur (this can easily be omitted if serving to children)
• 1 package of premade chocolate cordial cups (I use the Dobla brand*)
• 1 chocolate bar (I used a Ghirardelli chocolate truffle bar for this recipe)
1. Bring whipping cream just to a boil, remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth. Stir in Bailey's.
2. Pour into a medium size bowl and refrigerate 40-45 minutes or until chilled but not firm.
3. Beat ganache until it is thick and semi-firm with a mousse like consistency.
4. Fit a pastry bag with a #21 open star pastry tip. Spooned prepared chocolate into the bag and pipe into the chocolate cordial cups.
5. Using a handheld micro-planer, lightly grate a chocolate bar over the tops of the mistletoe treats prior to serving.
6. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Yield: 12.
These are great for use for stirring cocktails, hot chocolate or simply enjoying a little extra burst of chocolate with dessert.
• ½ cup of Baker's dipping chocolate, melted according to package directions
• ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted
• Equipment: 8 plastic spoons
1. Melt Baker's chocolate. Dip each spoon into the chocolate, twist gently to remove excess chocolate. Set on a parchment lined baking sheet.
2. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
3. Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring until melted and smooth.
4. Fit a pastry bag with a small tip (or snip the end off of a small freezer or sandwich bag) and fill with melted white chocolate.
5. Decoratively pipe melted white chocolate over the dark chocolate on each spoon. Return to the refrigerator until ready to use.
Holiday Brownie Parfaits with Festive Candy Cane Sprinkles
• 3 candy canes, crushed
• 12 premade brownie bites (can be found in the bakery section at most grocery stores)
• 1 jar of hot fudge sauce
• 1 can prepared whipped topping (Reddi Wip)
1. Lightly wet the rims of either 6 parfait cups or small martini glasses and gently press a small amount of crushed candy cane bits around the edges.
2. Crumble 2 brownie bites into the prepared glasses.
3. Top brownie bites with 1 tablespoon of hot fudge sauce.
4. Top with a generous squirt of whipped topping.
5. Finish with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. Yield: 6 parfaits.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)