GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- Sofitel Minneapolis will celebrate the first day of spring, March 20th, by giving away free macarons, delicious French treats which consist of two meringue-based cookies sandwiched together with a sweet filling.
Visitors to the hotel's French bakery, Le Petit Marché, on March 20 from 7 a.m. - noon will receive their very own melt-in-your-mouth spring themed macarons in shades of pastel pink, yellow and green.
In honor of the spring giveaway, Sofitel Minneapolis Chef Mark Crane dropped by our KARE 11 Kitchen to share one of his favorite classic macaron recipes.
For more information about Sofitel Minneapolis, visit sofitel-minneapolis.com.
By Executive Chef Mark Crane
Sofitel Minneapolis Colette Bar and Bistro
8 eggs separated
2 Tbls granulated sugar
2 cups Almond flour
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325. Separate egg whites into mixing bowl. Sift almond flour and powdered sugar in another bowl.
Whip egg whites until medium, add granulated sugar and food coloring and whip until stiff.
Fold the dry ingredients into egg whites until all mixed together.
Put into piping bag and pipe macarons onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Space 1 inch apart.
Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until tops are hard.
Make a butter cream
18 oz (2 ¼ cups) granulated sugar
9 oz Milk
2 whole eggs
8 sticks (2 lbs) butter
- Mix whole eggs, milk and sugar very well; then bring just to a boil and then take it off the heat.
- Strain into a clean mixing bowl and whip until cool to touch.
- Then add the butter, in handfuls, to the mixture and whip to incorporate.
- When all is incorporated, change to paddle and paddle for 10 minutes to remove air. You can use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
- Add flavoring (raspberry coulis, jam, coffee, etc) at this time. 2 TBSP is a good measurement
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )