ROCHESTER, Minn. -- A fire at a Days Inn Hotel in downtown Rochester has forced a two-hour evacuation and caused an estimated $100,000 in damage. No injuries were reported.
A Post-Bulletin of Rochester report says the fire Saturday about 6:15 a.m. was sparked by an overheated fryer in the hotel's restaurant.
Assistant Fire Chief Paul Belau says employees who started the oil fryer for the day noted after a while that it was boiling excessively and wasn't shutting down. The oil eventually ignited, and a fire extinguisher was ineffective.
Belau says firefighters eventually knocked out the fire. Guests were allowed to return to their rooms about 8 a.m.
An 86-year-old guest with a pre-existing medical condition was treated for shortness of breath, but he didn't need to be hospitalized.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)