GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Thursday, April 26 is the Aliveness Project's Dining Out for Life. If you dine out at one of the more than 180 participating Twin Cities restaurants a part of the proceeds will go to fight AIDS.
Niki Stavrou from Victor's 1959 Café in Minneapolis joined us on KARE 11 Sunrise to fill us in on the event and to share a breakfast recipe.
Basque Scrambler Recipe
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Spanish Chorizo links, sliced
3/4 cup ham, diced
3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 ½ cups Creole Sauce (see separate recipe)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Sautee the veggies for a minute to soften then add the Spanish chorizo and ham. Let the chorizo start to sweat its juicy flavors into the veggies to create your Basque stew.
2. Add the creole sauce (see separate recipe) to your Basque stew and let simmer for a few minutes.
3. Scramble 6 eggs and divide them between two plates (3 eggs per person).
4. Top the scrambled eggs with the Basque stew, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Creole Sauce Recipe
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
6 to 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups filtered water
1tsp ground cumin
2 Bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium high heat. Add the vegetables and the garlic. Saute 3 to 4 minutes or until onion and green peppers are soft.
2. Add tomato sauce, water and spices. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 - 20 minutes
Yields: about 4 cups
Because creole sauce is so versatile and can be used in so many ways, you may want to make a batch and store it when you're planning to do some Cuban cooking. If you store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator, it will keep for five to seven days.
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)