Protestors vow to reoccupy foreclosed home

12:51 PM, Jun 1, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MINNEAPOLIS - Activists from Occupy Homes Minnesota are vowing to reoccupy the Minneapolis home where a confrontation with police Wednesday night led to 14 arrests.

The group sent out an email Friday morning informing the media and authorities of their intentions. It reads, in part:

We will reoccupy the Cruz home AGAIN tomorrow at 2pm on the one month anniversary of our 24/7 eviction blockade at the Cruz family home. Freddie Mac, PNC Bank, and Mayor Rybak have a choice to make: waste more city resources arresting peaceful protesters, or work to keep the Cruz family in their home. WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED.

On Wednesday nighty an estimated 100 protestors gathered at 4044 Cedar Avenue outside the Cruz home, which had been secured by authorities for foreclosure after the family was evicted.

According to demonstrators dozens of police arrived around 10:30 p.m. to break up the protest. They allege that officers, including Minneapolis Chief Tim Dolan, carried large batons and used physical force to arrest the protestors. Ten were arrested at the scene.

"Today's (Wednesday) police violence shows Rybak and his police protect and serve the banks, not our communities," said Martha Ockenfels-Martinez an organizer with Occupy Homes MN and representative of the Cruz family.

A spokesman with Minneapolis Police says he saw no overuse of force or officer misconduct in the time he was on the scene.

(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )

Most Watched Videos