ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton is raising concerns about the safety and sanitation of northeastern Minnesota homes that were badly damaged by summer flooding and that won't be covered by federal assistance.
Dayton on Wednesday appealed last month's denial of individual assistance for dwellings. His letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency says more than 1,700 homes were damaged and most owners don't have flood insurance.
Dayton says state and local governments are under budget strains from past disasters.
Without assistance, Dayton says homeowners could face condemnation or be unable to replace unworkable furnaces before winter.
FEMA has approved assistance for repairs of publicly owned buildings, roads and structures. The Legislature could meet soon to provide a 25 percent match.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)