MINNEAPOLIS - A bustling area of downtown Minneapolis was locked down and buildings evacuated early Friday afternoon after a man walked into a bank and said he had a bomb.
Minneapolis police say they evacuated Gaviidae Common Building on Nicollet Mall just after noon after a white man in his 20s entered M&I Bank at 6th Street and Nicollet downtown and told employees he was carrying a bomb or gun.
Police say the man surrendered, and describe him as "complacent" during his arrest. They say no one was hurt.
Officers and deputies quickly closed off traffic on Nicollet Mall between 5th and 7th Streets and on several surrounding blocks while the Minneapolis Police Department Swat Team and Bomb Squad responded. FBI agents were also on the scene.
"The bomb squad did examine the book bag [the suspect] had, but also any personal gear that he had to make sure it was safe for the public to return," said Minneapolis Police Inspector Ed Frizell.
Authorities say he had previously walked into WCCO Television and asked to talk to a reporter but was apparently turned away.
The suspect was eventually taken into custody shortly after 1 p.m. Police offered no information on his history or a possible motive for the incident.
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )