HASTINGS, Minn. - With progress there is often pain, and the rebirth of the Hastings bridge is no exception.
A section of Highway 61 at the Mississippi River will close in both direcdtions at 6 a.m. Saturday so crews can float and lift the main span of the new Hastings Bridge into place. The work and closure will be weather dependent.
Motorists are advised to follow the signed detour using I-494, Hwy 52 and Hwy 55. In addition, there will be other local travel restrictions for what may be a 72 hour closure.
- Lock and Dam Road near downtown Hastings will close at the boat launch. A DNR project will limit parking and access near Jaycee Park.
- The pedestrian and bicycle path will close between Lock and Dam No. 2 and downtown Hastings.
- Beginning 6 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22 all through-river traffic between Lock and Dam No. 2 and the CP Rail Bridge east of downtown Hastings will be suspended.
- Lock and Dam Road and the pedestrian bicycle path are scheduled to reopen by 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22.
- Through-river traffic and Hwy 61 are scheduled to reopen late Monday, Sept. 24.
MnDOT assures that access to local businesses and residences on both sides of the bridge will not be affected.
Travelers and residents with questions are encouraged to call the Hastings Bridge Project Hotline at 651-775-5244 or visit the project's web site
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )