ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Minnesota Court of Appeals is refusing to block the scheduled opening of Minnesota's inaugural wolf hunting season on Nov. 3.
In an order Wednesday, a three-judge panel said two groups that sued to stop the hunt failed to show that letting the hunt proceed would cause irreparable harm.
The Center for Biological Diversity and Howling for Wolves claimed in their lawsuit that the Department of Natural Resources failed to allow for adequate public comment before it adopted its regulations for the upcoming wolf season. The DNR countered that it received extensive public input.
Collette Adkins Giese, an attorney for the center, says she's deeply disappointed because the order means hundreds of wolves will suffer and die. She says they'll discuss whether to appeal to the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Minnesota's season opens in early November and neighboring state Wisconsin's season begins Oct. 15 and runs through the end of February.
The states established wolf seasons earlier this year after Federal officials removed Great Lakes wolves from the endangered species list. Animal advocates complain the wolf populations aren't strong enough to support a hunt, but farmers in both states have long complained about wolves attacking livestock.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )