GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Looking for some Halloween treats that won't trick? The Sofitel Minneapolis is celebrating both Halloween and National Chocolate Day on Halloween Wednesday, October 31st, starting at 10 a.m. by giving out free truffle samples to guests.
Chef Mark Crane stopped by the KARE 11 News @4 studio to show off one of his specialties, Macaroons with Grand Mariner Ganache.
Macaroons with Grand Mariner Ganache
2 ¼ cups Almond Flour
2 ¼ cups Powdered Sugar
1/8 cup Cocoa Powder
½ cup Egg Whites
1 ½ cups Sugar
½ cup Water
½ cup Egg Whites
1. Mix the almond flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and first egg whites together.
2. Heat the water and sugar to 250 Fahrenheit.
3. While the sugar is heating up, place the second egg whites in a mixing bowl.
4. Just before the sugar is ready, whip the egg whites to soft peak. Once the sugar is ready, slowly pour the sugar into the mixing bowl, turning to high speed.
5. Whip until whites are glossy and bowl is cool to the touch.
6. Fold the whites into the almond paste mixture.
7. When you lift the spatula, the macaroon paste should disappear into the mix within 10 seconds. Continue to fold if it does not.
8. Fill piping bag and cut small hole in bag, or use a small size 8 round tip.
9. Pipe 1 inch circles onto pan lined with parchment paper. Let macaroons sit for about 30 minutes, or until they are tacky to touch. Bake for 10 minutes at 325 Fahrenheit oven.
10. Fill with ganache.
Grand Mariner Ganache
1 Cup Dark Chocolate
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Orange zest
1 tablespoon Grand Mariner (or to taste)
1. Heat cream with orange zest.
2. Pour scalding cream over chocolate and stir to combine, add Grand Mariner.
3. Allow to set before piping into macaroon shells.
For more information, head to Sofitel Minneapolis
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)