GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - If you're deep frying your turkey this Thanksgiving, the Minneapolis Fire Department says it's important to do your research to avoid a disaster.
Minneapolis Fire Marshall Perry Ebner says to follow these guidelines:
- Deep fry your turkey outside, not in a garage.
- Make sure your turkey is fully thawed and dry.
- Cooking oil should be at 325 degrees fahrenheit and no higher than the fill line in most turkey fryers.
- Slowly place turkey in cooking oil.
- Have fire extinguisher on stand by. Do not throw water on oil in the event of flames.
Ebner, along with other Minneapolis fire fighters, demonstrate what happens if you don't follow those suggestions.
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)