BCA: Video of Jamar Clark shooting doesn't show everything

BCA updates Jamar Clark death investigation

MINNEAPOLIS - Investigators say they do not have video that shows the officer-involved shooting of 24-year-old Jamar Clark in its entirety.

In a media briefing on Tuesday, the Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension gave an update into their investigation into the death of Clark, who died Monday evening after being taken off life support.

Drew Evans, BCA superintendent, said they've collected several videos in their investigation, from the ambulance that was on scene, a stationed mobile police camera in the area, public housing authority camera and witness cell phone video. However, none of the videos show the entire incident, only portions, he said.

No dash cam video or body camera video were taken of the incident, according to the BCA. Evans said there wasn't a camera in the squad car of the officers on scene.

Evans would not elaborate on what the videos did show.

"(That) video will not be released at this time, as is normal protocol with our investigations," he said. "Releasing them would impact the integrity of the investigation that's ongoing currently and it would impact the eventual prosecutorial review process that will be pending at the conclusion of our investigation."

Evans said they do not want to taint the investigation by making that video public, as interviews with witnesses are ongoing. He said the video will not be released until the investigation is complete.

The BCA is working with the establishment across the street, the Elk's Club, to obtain their video, as well.

Handcuffs were recovered from the scene, Evans said, but it is unclear at this point how or when they were used, or if they were used at all. No weapons were recovered from the scene.

Evans said they are also working to piece together information regarding the initial domestic assault that took place between Clark and a person he knew, which is what the officers were responding to initially. Authorities say Clark was interfering with medical personnel who had responded to the scene to help the victim.

The two officers involved in the shooting remain on paid administrative leave. Evans said they are working to interview both officers in the coming days. Those officers will be identified after their interviews are complete.

Evans said the investigation is still very active -- they are awaiting autopsy results, forensic evidence tests and additional interviews. The typical timeline for this kind of investigation is two to four months, however, Evans said this case has been given top priority from the BCA.

Anyone who still has video of the incident -- or that witnessed the incident -- and has not yet contacted the BCA is asked to do so by calling 651-793-7000.

Clark's death has spurred outrage from the Black Lives Matter community, who have staged a protest at the Fourth Precinct office of the Minneapolis Police Department since Sunday. The group also marched on to Interstate 94 on Monday evening, shutting down the freeway between 7th Street and Broadway Avenue.

Late Tuesday, Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges released a statement on the Clark shooting developments.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment