Cops confiscate gun from convicted murderer

ST. PAUL, Minn. - St. Paul Police are crediting officers for diffusing a tense situation while recovering a gun from a convicted murderer. 

On Monday, Sept. 5 squads were dispatched to a home on the 700 block of Cook Avenue East after a report from a woman saying her brother, 43-year-old Fontell Fuller, was threatening her with a gun during an argument. Officers responded and were met at the door by the suspect's father, who said he would call the 43-year-old man down to talk to police. 

When the suspect came down Fuller appeared surprised to see police in his father's home, and turned sideways as if to conceal his right hip from officers. When they asked to pat him down, Fuller reportedly told them they couldn't, and attempted to retreat from the officers. At that point a struggle ensued, with the officers attempting to gain control of Fuller's arm so he couldn't draw his weapon. Despite a tense struggle for 30 to 40 seconds, the officers managed to de-escalate the situation and convince Fuller to surrender the weapon without having to discharge their own guns.

He eventually allowed the officers on the scene to handcuff him, and take him into custody.

The .40 caliber Smith and Wesson recovered from Fuller had a live round in it, and he also had a box containing 20 rounds of ammunition in his front pocket.  A records check revealed that the suspect had a prior conviction for unintentional murder in Hennepin County that makes him ineligible to possess a firearm or ammo. 

Fuller told investigators he was carrying a pistol because he had been robbed in the past and police did nothing about it. 

If found guilty of being a felon in possession of a firearm or ammunition, Fontell Fuller could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison on each of two counts.  


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment